HPS Technology Vision:
Hopkinton Public Schools is committed to providing a safe educational environment in which everyone learns and collaborates in new and creative ways previously unimaginable and where technology seamlessly enriches our daily learning experiences.
Hopkinton Public Schools believes technology will help all students and educators learn and continuously grow as independent, confident, resilient and thoughtful individuals willing to explore new ideas, reflect on progress, and challenge themselves. Technology supports collaboration and differentiated instructional programs to accommodate various learning styles and abilities.
Furthermore, technology enables self-directed learning opportunities and helps bring about a closer global society by extending learning beyond the traditional classroom.
Technology improves communication between teachers and students, which encourages student growth and the exchange of ideas and feedback. Students and teachers will utilize web 2.0 tools and digital resources to better prepare students to work in a 21st Century environment in which a diverse set of skills and expertise are required. Students will leverage these tools in the classroom to learn how to collaborate, analyze data, and be effective members of a team.
Technology aims to enhance student learning by creating personalized, student-centered learning environments where every student has equal access to the curriculum. However, it the district’s understanding that not all curriculum is improved with the use of technology. Technology needs to be used to enhance the learning when appropriate and when it helps students reach specific learning outcomes. Therefore, the district fully supports a balanced approach of technology integration and more classical educational strategies.
It’s the district’s belief that technology can truly improve teaching and learning when implemented correctly and will work to provide a supportive culture for educators and students with the notion that it is okay to fail and try again.
The 1-1 Laptop Program aims to enhance student learning by creating a personalized, student centered learning environment where every student has a laptop to use in school and at home. Students and teachers will utilize web 2.0 tools and software to better prepare students to work in a 21st Century environment in which a diverse set of skills and expertise is required. Students will leverage these tools in the classroom to learn how to collaborate, analyze data, and be effective members of a team.
The program will provide all high school students the option of leasing a brand new MacBook from the school. Students may also elect to bring in their own devices. Students and parents will be offered the opportunity to take part in a training session during the summer to be prepared to participate in this initiative.
- Prepare thoughtful, creative students that can problem solve and think critically about global issues
- Increase student engagement and access to resources
- Provide more individualized instruction with consistent feedback
- Utilize laptops to conduct benchmark assessments and drive instruction
- Increase writing opportunities in grade 9 by 10% with a focus on analytic and explanatory writing by the end of 2012-2013 school year.
- Replace print textbooks with electronic textbooks in core content areas, and expand digital resources such as periodicals, newspapers, serials, novels, and library books over the next 3 years.
- Personalized learning environment for every student
- Improve writing and research skills
- Levels the playing field for all students
- Access to information and communication
- Improve school-home connection
- Increase communication between students and teachers
- Potential for authentic project-based learning opportunities
- Increase student engagement
- Foster communication, collaboration and creativity skills
- Increase productivity
- Become self-directed learners
- Become part of a network of learners
- Create opportunities for global outreach
- Focus on student-centered learning