Hopkinton High School’s 1:1 Learning Initiative
Information for incoming 9th graders (Class of 2022):
We are excited to continue the rollout of our 1:1 Initiative to the class of 2022. Our teachers have been creating digital resources to support and enhance their classroom teaching and the district has ensured that the necessary infrastructure is in place to support their efforts. Six years ago we initiated the 1:1 program and have found that our students are more deeply engaged, collaborating more effectively, developing stronger writing abilities and having greater success in their courses.
Educational research indicates that when 1:1 initiatives are effectively planned and implemented, the following outcomes are realized:
- Students in 1-1 programs outperform non-laptop students on standardized statewide achievement tests;
- Students engage in more higher-order reasoning and critical analysis during school activities, and collaborate more with their teachers;
- Learners participate in more problem-based and project-based learning activities, and develop stronger 21st Century skills; and
- Teachers report higher levels of student engagement.
1:1 Registration opens for all 8th grade students
1:1 Informational Session – 8th Grade Parent Night – Hopkinton High School
Decide how you want to participate, complete all paperwork
Online registration closes – 1:1 Participation forms and 1st payment is due
All lease payments for grades 9-12 are due
Apple processes order and begins shipping laptops
Hopkinton technicians receive laptops and begin imaging them
9th grade orientation – Laptop distribution and training
Lease an Apple MacBook Air or MacBook Pro computer through the school’s four-year lease program at a cost of approximately $533.75 for year 1 and $147.75 or $358.08 years 2-4 depending on the model you pick. Please keep in mind these are estimates based on last year’s pricing, we will have final pricing once we award the bid to Apple. If a student leases a laptop, s/he will have access to it as if it were his/her own and s/he could take it home with him/her each day, but the school will be responsible for maintenance and upkeep of the device. In addition, the purchase price includes 4 years of accidental damage protection. All service will be directed through the HS Tech Center and loaners will be provided to students while leased computers are being serviced. The laptop will come pre-loaded with a variety of software titles that students will use in their classes. At the end of four years, parents will have the choice of turning the laptop back in to the school or buying out the lease for a fee of $1.00 plus tax.
BYOD -Bring your own laptop to school with you. We know from our recent survey that some students already have their own laptops. If a student or parent feels more comfortable providing their own laptop, they can do this in lieu of leasing from the school. A list of the types of software that students will need if they bring their own device can be found on the 1-1 website listed below. Please be aware, however, that if students bring their own laptops, classroom teachers and technology personnel may not be able to help them troubleshoot issues that occur, so students should feel very comfortable using their own devices.
Student Use – If a student does not lease a laptop from the district or bring his/her own, we will provide laptops for those students to use during the day in classes and to use for homework outside of school. Students will be responsible for keeping these devices safe and in good working order. These devices will be collected during the summers for maintenance and additional repairs.
- Read the opening letter and discuss the options as a family
- Create a PowerSchool Account if you have not done so.
- Log in to PowerSchool, click on “1:1 Registration” and complete the online form.
- Sign all waivers and lease documents towards the end of the online form.
- Submit a payment at the Unipay site(Class of 2022 1 of 4) or mail a check to the Administration Building, initial payment is $533.75 and is due May 2nd, 2018